Driver’s Learner Permit or Intermediate License See http://www.tn.gov/safety/driverlicense/gdl.shtml
From the Department of Safety & Homeland Security website:
Proof of School Attendance
Applicants under the age of 18 must prove they are enrolled in school and making satisfactory progress. If they have already graduated, they must bring their high school diploma or G.E.D. certificate with them when they apply. If not, they need to ask their school to complete a Certificate of Compulsory School Attendance and take the original part of this form with them to a driver license station. The form is valid for only 30 days.
If a student fifteen years of age or older drops out of school or fails to make satisfactory academic progress, the school is required to notify the Department of Safety. This suspends the student’s driving privileges. The first time a student drops out, he or she may regain the privilege to drive by returning to school and making satisfactory academic progress. There is no second chance, however. The second time a student drops out he or she must wait to turn 18 years old before being eligible to apply.
We supply a letter on school letterhead. Requirements for Proof of Attendance and Progress letter for the Department of Safety & Homeland Security.
Please note our policy regarding DMV proof of attendance and progress letters:
If a student under the age of 18 requests a DMV letter from us during the school year and does not:
- submit semester reports in a timely manner OR
- obtain GED or graduate OR
- transfer to another school OR
- re-enroll with us for the the next school year on or by Aug 1
…then we are required to report the student to the DMV.
Students requesting proof of attendance and progress letters must be currently enrolled with us and in attendance for at least 30 days – that means if you request a DMV letter on or after July 1st – you must be enrolled with us in the current school year. Our school year runs from July 1 – June 30 each year.
Please ensure that course work (grades to date) and attendance have been updated online.
In the request comments box include the following information:
- Student’s FULL LEGAL name
- Date of birth
- FULL address (including COUNTY – not country)
- Parent/legal guardian name
We do not accept rush requests for this letter.
To obtain a proof of attendance and progress letter for the DMV to obtain a learner permit/driver’s license:
- The student must have been registered with us for at least 30 days and have accrued at least 30 days of attendance. Prior semester courses grades and credit must be updated and current semester work should be listed as IP (in progress)
- Log in to your HomeschoolReportingOnline account. Upper right box titled Family Navigation select Request Manager
New: The date you submitted the request.
On Hold: School is missing information and cannot complete. Please contact the school office.
Closed: The date your request was completed
Please allow 1 full work week for these forms to be processed & postal mailed.